- Mystery of the Honey Island Swamp-Rat Killings
- The Influenza Epidemic of 1918
- Bay St. Louis Bridge
- The Formation of the City of Diamondhead
- The Hancock Bank Building
- Notes on the Yellow Fever Epidemic
- The Bicycle Craze in Hancock County
- The James Copeland Gang
- March 19,1886 - Red Letter Day for City of Bay Saint Louis
- The Sisters of Saint Joseph
About“Vignettes” are articles the Hancock County Historical Society has produced or digitized over the years, ranging anywhere from little tidbits to full size documents. A work in progress, as usual.
Noun: A brief evocative description, account, or episode.
Verb: Portray (someone) in the style of a vignette.
Mystery, intrigue, and legend have enshrouded one area of the lowest part of the Pearl River basin for centuries—Honey Island Swamp. Located between the East and West Pearl Rivers, it has engendered tales of pirates, ne'er-do-wells, robbers, murderers, and other unsavory characters. While respectable, honest people have lived there through the years, it has also… (read more)
The influenza pandemic of 1918 killed an estimated fifty million people worldwide. In fact, one-fifth of the world’s population was affected, and this disease killed more people than any other illness in recorded history. Erroneously referred to as “Spanish” flu because Spanish newspapers initially reported its pervasiveness, it was not confined to this one country. … (read more)
Did you know that the first bridge across Hancock County’s Bay of St. Louis was not built until 1926? While Robert L. Genin had procured a franchise for a privately built bridge across the Bay of St. Louis as early as 1912, it took the efforts of Horatio S. Weston, president of the Hancock County… (read more)
The community of Diamondhead became the City of Diamondhead in 2012. There was a great deal of fanfare when the Secretary of State presented the newly issued city charter to the mayor and city council. As the city council started taking its first halting steps at creating the city, you couldn't help thinking about how… (read more)
One of the most photographed spots in Bay St. Louis following Hurricane Katrina was where Main Street meets Beach Boulevard. Although the spot is one of the highest points on the entire Gulf coast, the hurricane did its best to ravage this historical intersection. Storm stricken residents, however, both present and dislocated, took some comfort… (read more)
From “The New Orleans Medical and Surgical Journal” July 1851 by A.P. Merrill Notes taken by Emma Clay of Medical Officer with 8th U.S. Infantry who was not named. An epidemic occurred not named but believed to be Yellow Fever. At the time of the appearance of this epidemic I held a commission in the… (read more)
After its invention in Germany in the early 1800’s, the bicycle went through several modifications and updates to enter the “Golden Age of Bicycles” in the 1890’s. Between 1890 and 1895 the bicycle craze came to Hancock County. Even though the fad came to the county, no one in the area owned a bicycle. To… (read more)
Many people express the opinion that crime is more prevalent now than ever before in the history of Hancock County. At first glance this might appear to be true, but investigation shows that conditions are different. When one examines the available records of crime more than a century ago and makes a comparison with today’s… (read more)
In a communication mailed from Jackson, Mississippi and directed on March 19, 1886 to the Honorable James A. Ulman, Mayor of the City of Bay St. Louis was the long awaited approval of the Charter and Ordinances of the City of Bay St. Louis. A copy of this document is filed in the City Hall,… (read more)
Their story began in Bay St. Louis, MS, on January 6, 1855, with the arrival of three sisters from France at the request of Father Buteux, the pastor of Our Lady of the Gulf Church. “They arrived on the day of the Epiphany—what a beautiful coincidence….Are not these sisters the star which comes to lead… (read more)